Alaska's Aurora Adventures
The Arctic Circle Aurora Overnight Adventure departs from Fairbanks by land or air and offers optional aurora viewing, dog sledding, and Brooks Mountain Range excursions from your base camp at Coldfoot, Alaska.
Coldfoot's far north location places it one of the world's best aurora viewing areas. For more information about the aurora, please visit our Frequently Asked Questions. Also, you can visit the University of Alaska Fairbanks Geophysical Institute website.
- Learn the fascinating story of Alaska's Arctic from your guide. Travel through mining areas north of Fairbanks.
- View the remarkable Trans Alaska Pipeline.
- Travel the famed Dalton Highway. Traverse the mighty Yukon River.
- Cross the Arctic Circle and receive an official Arctic Circle Adventure Certificate.
Accommodations: Located halfway between Fairbanks and Prudhoe Bay, Coldfoot Camp provides an excellent base for travelers in Alaska's Brooks Mountain Range. Although rustic by urban standards, Coldfoot Camp is clean and each room features two twin beds and private bath facilities in each of the rooms, a luxury in the remote wilderness of Alaska's Arctic.
A round trip journey by land and air exploring Alaska's Brooks Mountain Range.
This adventure is for those who are serious about looking for the Aurora. To increase the odds of seeing them one should stay put for multiple nights in a location as close to the source of the lights as possible so that even on a quiet night the ability is there to see them. Quiet doesn't mean they are not occurring, quiet means the band they occur in is narrow and not visible miles away.
- DAY 1: Ground tour in the personalized comfort of our ground tour vehicles. Appreciate the low light on the horizon as it shines on the windswept arctic tundra. Traverse the frozen Yukon River and enjoy the snow-sculpted forest as you make your way across the Arctic Circle. Arrive in Coldfoot and settle in for your 3 night stay.
- DAY 2 or MORE: Select from a variety of optional tours which include an excursion along the Dalton Highway, into the Brooks Mountain Range, as far north as Atigun Pass (weather permitting); a one-hour dog sledding experience with a local musher, and additional aurora viewing in Wiseman (optional tour prices are not included).
- LAST DAY: Return to Fairbanks via air.
- DEPARTS: approx. 10:00 am by ground tour on DAY 1; returns by air approximately 2:00 - 4:00 pm on the final day.
Aurora Overnight Adventure - 3 Day / 2 Night
- Fall Aurora August 21 - September 17, 2020 - Daily Departures ($799 /person double occupancy, $200 single supplement)
- 2019 - 2020 Regular Season: Friday and Sunday Departures ($789 /person double occupancy, $200 single supplement).
- 2019 - 2020 Peak Season: Friday and Sunday Departures ($889 / person double occupancy, $200 single supplement) Additional dates MAY be available during the peak time.
Aurora Adventure - 4 Day / 3 Night
- Fall Aurora August 21 - September 17, 2020 - Daily Departures ($899 /person double occupancy, $300 single supplement)
- 2019 - 2020 Regular Season: Tuesday Departures ($889/person double occupancy, $300 single supplement)
- 2019 - 2020 PEAK Season: Tuesday departures ($989/person double occupancy, $300 single supplement). Additional dates MAY be available during the peak time.
Aurora Adventure - 5 Day / 4 Night
- Fall Aurora August 21 - September 17, 2020 - Daily Departures ($999 /person double occupancy, $400 single supplement)
- 2019 - 2020 Regular Season: Friday Departures ($989 /person double occupancy, $400 single supplement)
- 2019 - 2020 PEAK Season: Friday departures ($1089/person double occupancy, $400 single supplement). Additional dates MAY be available during the peak time.
Aurora Adventure - 6 Day / 5 Night
- Fall Aurora August 21 - September 17, 2020 - Daily Departures ($1099 /person double occupancy, $500 single supplement)
- 2019 - 2020 Regular Season: Sunday departures ($1089 /person double occupancy, $500 single supplement)
- 2019 - 2020 PEAK Season: Sunday departures ($1189 /person double occupancy, $500 single supplement). Additional dates MAY be available during the peak time.
Aurora Adventure - Make it as long as you would like
- We can create longer stays in Coldfoot if you would like.
October 8 – November 23, 2019
December 2 - 20, 2019
January 1 - 23, 2020
February 3 - 29, 2020
April 1 – 21, 2020
PEAK SEASON :
September 19– October 7, 2019
November 24 – December 1, 2019
December 21 – 31, 2019
January 24 - February 2, 2020
March 1 – 31, 2020
|2019 - 2020 Optional Tours in Coldfoot:
- Arctic Mountain Safari: Enjoy an afternoon exploring the Brooks Mountain range on a drive north from Coldfoot on the Dalton Highway as far north as Atigun Pass (weather permitting). Departs Coldfoot at 10:00 am and returns at 6:00 pm. Meals not included. Box lunch can be purchased at Coldfoot Camp. $129/ person
- Arctic Village Aurora: Enjoy an evening tour to historic Wiseman for a unique cabin visit and an opportunity to enjoy the solitude of the Brooks Mountain Range as you scan the northern sky for Northern Lights. Cabin visit includes complimentary hot beverages. Departs Coldfoot at 10:00 pm and returns at 2:00 am. $89 / person
- Dog Sled Adventure: Enjoy an afternoon with real Alaskan sled dogs. Learn what it takes to have a dog team in Alaska. Enjoy a ride, and, if you wish, drive a team of your own. Times will vary and will be arranged by the guide in Coldfoot to fit within your schedule - experience takes approximately 1 hour. $149 / person (Only available December 15 - March 31 - booked only once at Coldfoot Camp.)
For information on how to make a reservation, click on the link to our planning page.
Recommendations: For any of our adventures into Alaska's Arctic we recommend planning to arrive in Fairbanks the night prior to joining us and stay in Fairbanks the night returning with us. If you are delayed arriving into Fairbanks and miss your tour departure that equals a non-refundable cancellation. We will do our best to see if there is an alternate available for you; however, there is no guarantee of an equal replacement nor is the tour refundable if missed.
PLEASE NOTE: Guest safety always takes precedence over convenience. The return on the final day is by small plane. Small plane flying in Alaska's Arctic can be delayed or even cancelled on occasion due to weather. If the weather requires us to alter the return method of travel from air to ground it will be done as an equal exchange of travel.
Alaska's Arctic -- premier destination to look for the Aurora -- Coldfoot is located directly under the Aurora Oval, where the aurora originate in the northern hemisphere.