The natural hot springs at Manley were discovered in 1902 by a gold prospector who settled there and started a market garden. In 1903, Sam's Rooms and Meals opened, and, after several reincarnations this establishment is still going strong as the Manley Roadhouse. Several early gold discoveries ensured that Manley Hot Springs would become a busy, if small, community, and the hot springs kept it alive during periods of mining inactivity. Today, it is a mixed rural community of about 100 residents located at the western terminus of the Elliott Highway.
The Tanana Athabaskan village of Minto is located on wooded bluffs above the Tolovana River at the northern edge of the Minto flats with a spectacular, wide-open view to the south – a large complex of lakes and connecting waterways, numerous islands of birch and spruce, and in the distance, the spectacular Alaska Mountain Range, including the highest peak in North America, Denali. Minto has about 150 residents. Although the tools have changed with the modern world, life for most residents still follows the ancient rhythms of the seasons: waterfowl hunting in spring, salmon fishing in summer, moose hunting and berry picking in fall, trapping and ice fishing in winter.
A guided adventure featuring two rural Alaskan villages.
Manley Hot Springs Village Overnight Adventure
- Ground tour out the Elliott Highway with a friendly, informative guide 120 miles to the Athabaskan village of Minto. Learn about the natural and cultural history of this wild and remote region.
- Enjoy lunch in Minto.
- Meet your village host and take a guided tour of Minto.
- Continue by ground another 40 miles to Manley Hot Springs where you will have unstructured time to explore the village, soak in the Hot Springs (optional) or simply relax.
- Overnight at the historic Manley Roadhouse – the oldest roadhouse still in operation in Alaska.
- Fly back to Fairbanks while enjoying the beauty of Interior Alaska.
Available Sun, Tues, and Thurs: June 16, 2017 – August 31, 2017
Departs Fairbanks at 7:30 am; returns to Fairbanks approximately 11:10 am the following day.
2017 Rate: $189 / person (meals not included)
Tour Program for Manley Hot Springs Village Overnight
Wild & Free Dog Mushing Adventure add-on: $125 / person
This can easily be added on to the above tour. For more information on this optional excursion visit here, and feel free to visit Wild & Free for more information on their operation.
Tour Program for Manley Hot Springs Village Overnight with Wild and Free add-on.
Manley Hot Springs Village Fly/Drive Adventure
- Fly from Fairbanks over the scenic Minto Flats to Manley Hot Springs.
- Meet your friendly, informative guide and explore the village of Manley Hot Springs.
- After lunch in the historic Manley Roadhouse, have unstructured time to further explore the village, soak in the Hot Springs (optional) or simply relax.
- Ground tour east along the Elliott Highway 40 miles to the Athabaskan village of Minto. Learn about the natural and cultural history of this wild and remote region.
- Meet your village host and enjoy a guided tour of Minto.
- Have dinner at the Village End Restaurant or Lakeview Lodge.
- Continue by ground another 120 miles to arrive in Fairbanks approximately 11:00 pm.
Available Mon, Wed, and Fri: June 15, 2017 – September 1, 2017
Departs Fairbanks at 9:30 am; returns to Fairbanks approx. 11:00 pm.
Tour Program for Manley Hot Springs Village Fly/Drive Adventure
2017 Rate: $129 / person (meals not included)