The Tanana Athabaskan village of Minto is located on wooded bluffs above the Tolovana River at the northern edge of the Minto flats with a spectacular, wide-open view to the south – a large complex of lakes and connecting waterways, numerous islands of birch and spruce, and in the distance, the spectacular Alaska Mountain Range, including the highest peak in North America, Denali.
Minto has about 150 residents, most of whom are Tanana Athabaskans. The village is unusual in that it has year-round road access and residents can easily make the trip to Fairbanks. Although the tools have changed with the modern world, life for most residents still follows the ancient rhythms of the seasons: waterfowl hunting in spring, salmon fishing in summer, moose hunting and berry picking in fall, trapping and ice fishing in winter.
A guided overnight adventure featuring aurora watching and a visit to the village of Minto, Alaska.
· Ground tour out the Elliott Highway with a friendly, informative guide 125 miles to the village of Minto, Alaska. Learn about the natural and cultural history of this wild and remote region.
· Visit this vibrant Tanana Athabaskan community and see how rural Alaskans blend modern technology and traditional lifeways.
· Share lunch with elders of Minto village.
· Participate in a variety of (optional) winter activities.
· Immerse yourself in the beauty of Interior Alaska.
· Spend the evening watching for the Aurora Borealis.
· Overnight at the Lakeview Lodge in Minto.
· The following morning, take a 40 minute flight in a twin-engine 9 passenger aircraft over the snow-covered Minto Flats and Yukon-Tanana Uplands back to Fairbanks.
Available Sundays, Tuesdays & Thursdays August 21, 2016 - April 21, 2017
Departs Fairbanks at 9:00 am; returns to Fairbanks approximately 11:00 am the following day.
- 2016-2017 Rate: $189.00 / person (meals not included)
- Minto Village Fly/Drive Adventure Tour Program: LINK